Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hoedown!

Monday, we spent some quality time in our new garden.  First, the kids helped me break up clods of dirt and get everything ready for some planting.





They have enough shovels and rakes and implements of destruction for 4 or 5 kids, but hey.  This way they don't fight over trowels and scoops.


I got this hat at Colonial Williamsburg last summer specifically to be my gardening hat.  It's perfect!  Well, almost -- the inside gets caught in my hair a lot, so I'm thinking of sewing up just a band of fabric to go around the bottom of the crown to save my hair and act as a sweat band too.


All we got planted was a row of carrots, but it's a start.  We have lettuce and tomatoes started inside to transplant later.  We need to build our fence higher, though -- the way our neighbor tells it, we have mutant bunnies around here that can leap houses at a single bound...

2 comments:

  1. You have such good garden helpers, don't you? :)

    I have a similar gardening hat that kept getting caught in my hair, too - I ended up hot glueing a 2 or 2 1/2 inch wide satin ribbon on the inside (was jsut a scrap item I had lying around). It stopped the snagging on my hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're very enthusiastic helpers, for sure!

    I hadn't thought of ribbon. I've got a whole bag of ribbon odds and ends, I'll have to paw through that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Stay and chat, won't you?